Thursday, February 28, 2019

My Road to Rootstech.

My Road to Rootstech Begins

Image Sharn White
 Coming to Rootstech from Australia is not so much a road, but a flight. In fact, it requires several flights to  bring me to the Rootstech Conference in Salt Lake City. This is my fourth year acting as a Roostech Ambassador and I am very excited  to be sharing with you lots of Rootstech news via my blog, Twitter, Facebook, Instagram and Youtube.


The weather was most kind for my arrival in Salt Lake City
Registration this year was so fine tuned that it was almost too easy! With lots of people working hard handing out lanyards and bags to those who pre-checked and pointing the way to Hall 4 for those who had not yet checked in, it was an amazing eperience to find NO queues anywhere. Check-in was achieved quickly with a simple scan of a bar code which had been previously emailed to me. I collected my lanyard, name badge and conference bag in record time which left time to do some family history research in the Family History Library before the conference began. 


Check-in was easy!

This year's conference started officially on Wednesday February 27, but for those involved in publicity on behalf of Rootstech, it kicked off last night with the always much anticipated Media Dinner. Each attendee appreciated the gift placed on their tables and much fun was had by all playing with our new changeable lens covers for mobile phones. 


Through the lens.

Jason Hewlett prove to be a most entertaining and versatile host, adding humour (spelled the Aussie way) and singing to the evening. Jason graciously made time to come to our table to say hello to two Australian Ambassadors, Jill Ball (aka GeniAus) and myself. Jill and I both interviewed Jason at Rootstech last year and I hope to catch up with him for a chat again while I am here.

Jason Hewlett hosting the Media Dinner
Jill and I had a little fun as we left the dinner venue looking at the promotion for Rootstech London to be held in October. This new conference has now been officially announced as open for registration so you register during Rootstech you will pay a special price so if you're thinking of going now is the time to register.

I am London bound...

Collecting my Rootstech badge and bag.

Chalk drawing on the steps to Rootstech
 
 For me, Rootstech is definitely about connecting and belonging.  Each time I travel the long distance from Sydney, Australia to Salt Lake City, I reconnect with friends that I have made at previous conferences, or wth people I know from online genealogy communities. I make new connections many of whom become friends for life. Because Rootstech is a conference with a focus on learning the best ways to connect with your past, the people, and the places your ancestors came from, it is also a place where you cannot help but feel you belong. 

Two Australian Genealogists meeting Blaine Bettinger

2 comments:

  1. Great post Sharn! Miss seeing my round-the-world genimates. #notatRootsTech

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have included your blog in INTERESTING BLOGS in FRIDAY FOSSICKING at

    https://thatmomentintime-crissouli.blogspot.com/2019/03/friday-fossicking-8th-march-2019.html
    Thank you, Chris

    ReplyDelete