Monday, December 19, 2011

Genealogists for Family Project

   Kiva - Loans that Change Lives
You don't Need to be a Genealogist to Join - you Just Need to Care!


Kiva.org
http://www.kiva.org/team/genealogists

My last blog post was about a small trinket box which my grandmother gave me many years ago. In other posts I have narrated stories telling of my adventures in discovering Swiss, Irish and Scottish ancestors.  I have even written anecdotes about a great uncle who was suspected of spying in WW11. This post is different. As genealogists, part or full time, we focus a lot on the past. We do so, importantly, in order to preserve the past for the future.

Sometimes we just need to focus on the present... and right now, there are many people who do not have lives so fortunate that they can even enjoy the luxury of researching ancestors, nor do they have a certain future. For some, it is a daily struggle just to survive, to educate children, to start a business or just to feed and care for livestock. 

Kiva is an organisation which allows us to make loans of $25, NOT DONATIONS, to people less fortunate than ourselves. There is an element of self esteem involved, which makes it important for people to be able to accept a loan and to repay it. There is undoubtedly a sense of fulfillment in helping others to make a better present and future for themselves and for their families.


At this time of year, especially, as you decorate your Christmas tree and prepare to enjoy the festive season with your family, or participate in whatever other traditions or festivities that are a part of your family life, please think about joining the Genealogists For Families Project and Kiva in caring about the future of other families.

http://www.kiva.org/team/genealogists


Wishing you a Happy and Holy Christmas....


1 comment:

  1. Sharn, thank you for being part of the Genealogists for Families project and our Kiva lending team. When my sisters join me for Christmas, I will ask them to help me select a borrower to support in memory of our Mum and Dad. I think a few other team members plan on doing something similar.

    ReplyDelete